Human Rights Film Directory Resources
- The Human Rights Education and Research Network promotes the integration of human rights scholarship and teaching at the University's three campuses (Bothell, Seattle, Tacoma) by generating leading research, by developing new pathways of learning for students, and by relating this work to the world of practice. This non-partisan organization will provide intellectual, institutional, and financial support for researchers and teachers at all levels of theory and practice to further their work in the emerging field of human rights.
- BullFrog Films
- Bullfrog Films is the oldest and one of the largest U.S. distributors of videos and films about world social issues such as globalization, immigration law, women's rights, child welfare. Especially strong on environmental issues.
- Bruno Films.com
- Independent filmmaker and relief worker, Ellen Bruno has produced a number of
award winning human rights documentary films.
- Cambridge Documentary Films
Documentary Films is a small non-profit company involved in the
production, direction and distribution of films designed to bring a new
perspective to important social issues.
- DocuSeek is a search site for independent documentary, social issue, and
educational videos. DocuSeek allows you to simultaneously search several leading
film distributors' complete collections, representing the highest quality
documentary and instructional media, films and videos available.
- Facets Multi-Media
- Facets Multi-Media is a non-profit media arts and performing arts center that strives to provide the public with an extraordinary range of film, video and theater programs. Facets Video library consists of over 27,000 foreign and domestic titles, all of which are searchable and available for purchase on this site. Facets rental library contains over 15,000 films that can be rented by mail, which is very helpful for those that cannot be found in the local video stores or for those that are out of print.
Contains Films for the Humanities and Sciences' entire collection of videos,
CD-ROMS, and other media, including many titles not available in the print
- First Run/Icarus Films
- A leading
distributor of documentary film and video. Our 750 titles, mostly independent
productions, provide innovative and informative views of our rapidly changing
- Public-affairs series for American public television (PBS).
- German Documentary Film Center - Haus des Dokumentarfilms
- More than 7,000 of the most important international documentary films, representing filmmakers and styles, beginning with the earliest examples of the genre up to the present day.
Globalvision is an independent media production company specializing in information, entertainment and educational programming for local and international markets.
- La Maison du documentaire
- An inventory and depository library of documentaries from French speaking
Europe. Searchable index contains over 4,000 videos to date. The Centre serves as a research
institute for the scholarly study of the documentary.
This nonprofit organization maintains the largest searchable list of social issue documentaries. Entries are submitted by a wide array of documentarians and distributors. Excellent source to verify the existence of a film. Descriptions are provided by the distributors or filmmakers.
- Media Resources Center
- The MRC permanent collection comprises materials in a wide range of subject
fields, with emphasis on titles which have broad interdisciplinary interest.
The collection includes dramatic performances; literary adaptations; speeches;
lectures and events; primary source recordings, such as historic TV commercials
and newsreels; and documentaries, including one of the strongest collections
of works by independent film and video makers in the US.
- New Day Films
- We are a collective of more than 50 filmmakers from across the United States representing over 100 films, a true cooperative and democratically run organization dedicated to bringing high quality social issue media to our audiences.
- Uninterrupted hour-long programs on a single topic, presented without the sensationalism of commercial TV. Produced by the Science Unit at WGBH Boston for PBS.
- PBS, headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia,
is a private, non-profit media enterprise owned and operated by the nation's
349 public television stations.
- Richter Videos
Productions is a small independent documentary distribution and production
company that encompasses the works of founder Robert Richter and others.
Included in the collection are Academy Award nominees, duPont Columbia Broadcast
Journalism award winners, and others honored with major U.S. and overseas
honors. Subjects: global issues, human rights, environment, science, public
health, AIDS, some of the influential people of our time. Independent investigative
reporter and producer of documentaries.
- Third World Newsreel
- Founded in 1967, Third
World Newsreel is one of the oldest alternative media arts organizations
in the United States. We are committed to the creation and appreciation
of independent and social issue media by and about people of color, and
the peoples of developing countries around the world.
- The Video Project
videos on the environment, science and social issues.
- WGBH Boston
- The purpose of this not-for-profit corporation is to promote the general
education of the public by offering television, radio, and other telecommunications
programs and services that inform, inspire, and entertain.
- Women Make Movies
- Women Make Movies is a multicultural, multiracial, non-profit media arts organization which facilitates the production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of independent films and videotapes by and about women.
International | Local